River Cruising Is Making Waves
By Josephine Scebba
(TECUMSEH, ON) – River cruising may be less well known than ocean cruising, but it is becoming more popular for several good reasons. With renowned lines like Viking, Avalon, AMA Waterways, and Uniworld there are numerous amazing itineraries from which to choose.
There are numerous reasons that river cruising is becoming so popular.
- Smaller ships. River ships are less crowded than ocean liners, accommodating between 100 to 200 people, making it easy to get to know your fellow passengers. The smaller ships can navigate to places the bigger ships can’t reach, providing passengers with up close and personal experiences. Plus, with no days at sea, you have a view every single time.
- Great value with a lot of bonuses. Most river cruise lines include all onboard meals, soft drinks, free flowing wine, beer, and specialty coffees and teas along with shore excursions or tours at each port, entertainment, lectures, culinary classes and free Wi-Fi.
- Everything’s included. The all-inclusive nature of river cruising allows you to relax from the worries over surprises on your stateroom account at the end of your trip.
- No shortage of luxury. River cruises encompass elegant public spaces that offer views from every corner, world famous art, luscious amenities, and decor that rivals those of high end hotels. Travelers can expect exceptional decor in balcony staterooms that allow them to wake up to an exciting new site every day.
- Impeccable service. With a high staff-to-guest ratio, river cruises boast attentive, personalized service as well as butler service for select stateroom categories.
- It’s causal. Dinner does not require reservations, it’s open seating and the dress code is usually business casual or country club style. You can leave your formal wear at home!
- Sea sickness is not a worry. Without the ship pitching from rolling seas, it’s smooth sailing on the river currents. The voyage is wave free.
- Visit World Heritage sites with ease. Many river cruises visit exclusive designated UNESCO World Heritage sites on waterways such as the Douro River. Traveling by river is truly the best way to see Budapest, Vienna and Paris, and exotic locales such as Russia, Vietnam, Cambodia and Egypt.
Expedia CruiseShipCenters of Tecumseh can help you choose and book a river cruise. The Luxury and River Cruise sale runs from March 1 through 15.